Move In Planner Checklist
Moving Planner Checklist
COUNTDOWN TO MOVING DAY!
EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Obtain a floor plan of your new residence and decide what household items you want to keep.
- Begin an inventory of all household goods.
- Solicit estimates from several moving companies.
- Contact your insurance agent, and ask them about your homeowner's policy to determine whether your possessions are cove when moving.
- Establish a file for all moving papers and receipts.
- Arrange to transfer child (ren)'s school records.
- Choose a mover.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Begin search for good health-care professionals in your new location.
- Fill out post-office change of address cards.
- Send your new address to anyone that might need it -- insurance agents, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, friends, relatives, etc.
- Clean out closets and dispose of all items that you will not be taking with you.
- Hold a moving/garage sale or donate items to charities.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- For self moves, reserve a truck or trailer. Obtain necessary moving supplies: boxes, twine, labels, etc.
- Start packing!!
- If your mover is doing the packing, arrange for it to be done one or two days before loading begins.
- Send furniture, drapes and carpets for repair or cleaning as needed.
- Begin to use up overstocks of staple foods.
- Gather valuable personal papers that you may need at your destination location, including medical and dental records, school records, birth certificates, etc.
- Make travel plans and arrange any motel or other reservations.
THREE WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to have utilities (gas, electric, phone, cable, water, etc.) disconnected in your present home, and connected at your new home.
- Ready car registration and insurance records for transfer.
- Notify State Motor Vehicle Bureau of your new address.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
- If necessary, reserve apartment elevator for pickup and/or delivery dates.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Arrange to move pets.
- Check with mover about moving house plants. (Some movers will not move plants.)
- Dispose of all items too dangerous to move, including flammable liquids.
- If necessary, have your automobile serviced and ready for the trip.
ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Transfer all bank accounts.
- Cancel newspaper delivery.
- Have enough medication to last at least two weeks. Have prescriptions forwarded to a pharmacy at your new destination.
- Buy traveler's checks.
- Make arrangements to pay for your move.
- Withdraw items and close safety deposit boxes.
TWO DAYS BEFORE YOU MOVE
- Have mover pack your goods (unless doing it yourself).
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Set aside valuable items to carry with you including jewelry, vital documents, money and valuable small items.
- Be on hand to answer questions and give directions to movers and stay until they are finished.
- Accompany driver for inventory of your household goods.
- Complete information on bill of lading and carefully read the document before you sign it.
- Make sure you have your copies of the bill of lading and inventory.
- Keep the bill of lading until your possessions are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
- Before the van leaves, take one final look through the house to make certain nothing has been left behind.
- Give the driver directions to your new home.
- Notify the driver and the van line where you can be reached during the move.
- Be on hand to answer any questions and give directions.
- You must pay the driver before your goods can be unloaded. This is a Federal requirement for interstate moves.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking.
- Check carefully for any damaged or missing items.
- Note on the inventory any damaged boxes or obvious damage to unboxed items before you sign anything.
MHM in the News
The Hawk Eye newspaper highlights Millennia's efforts in conjunction with American Preservation Builders to restore the Burlington to its Original Splendor! READ MORE>>
Carrollton Crest Grand Opening !! READ MORE>>
Award Winning Properties
We are pleased to announce that our Seneca Grove property has recently been approved as a Green Communities certified development by Enterprise Community Partners. Seneca Grove is Millennia’s second certified Green Communities project (it’s also our fifth OAHP Green Initiatives project). Thanks to American Preservation Builders, property management, Millennia Housing Development, Ohio Housing Finance Agency, PNC Bank, CreditVest, Dimit Architects, the City of Painesville and most importantly, the residents (who endured the noise and activity of this significant rehabilitation) for making this project a reality.
Spotlight on MHM
Millennia Housing Management, Ltd. Presented with OCCH 2012 Awards Of Excellence for ’Excellence in Affordable Housing Management’. READ MORE>>
Millennia Housing Management, Ltd. ranks number 65 in NAHMA's Top 100 Affordable Management Companies in the United States! READ MORE>>
Affordable Housing Finance ranks Millennia Housing Management number 37 in Top 50 Affordable Housing Owners. READ MORE>>
Affordable Housing Finance ranks Millennia Housing Development number 2 in Top 10 Companies Completing Acquisitions READ MORE>>